Saturday, March 24, 2012

Expedition Earth: Antarctica

Here we come Antarctica! Thank you Confessions of a Homeschooler's Expedition Earth for a great journey!

We took a little liberty and did the Poles in the middle of the year rather than the regularly scheduled end of the year. I had thought that it would be fun to study the snowy places while we had snow. Little did I know that this would be such a "brown" Minnesota winter. So we made what we could of the little snow we had.

First up are the igloos we made:













Agent E says his was an igloo church.













Agent H's igloo.

















The General's igloo in process . . again, and again, and again. Did I mention we were working with sugar cubes? He may have actually eaten more than he built with.

We read a lot about Shackelton. We watched a clip on YouTube about his story. I found this amazing study on him with great printables and we did a few pieces of it to add to our file folder on the Poles.

We read Mr. Popper's Penguins again - dah! (I'm such an 80's child)

We made snow cones with our Snoopy Snow Cone maker!!

Here is our lovely penguin foot painting art (which turned into a wrestle hug):














There are lots of other neat links over on my Pinterest board for Antarctica if you want to check them out.

No comments: