We've taken to sitting at a little kids table that I picked up at a garage sale this summer. (An answer to prayer as all the wood tables that I saw were $50. I found this one for $15 with a custom paint job!) Little Hands to Heaven (our curriculum) brings everything back to the Bible and since I had determined that this year would be primarily character development with some school stuff mixed in, it does it wonderfully. I especially love the little devotional book called My ABC Bible Verses, Hiding God's Word in Little Hearts by Susan Hunt. Our verse this week is "A soft answer turns away wrath." Proverbs 15:1. At an unexpected moment H said "I think I'll quit hitting Mom." Well the resolve lasted for only about that moment but it was a comment out of the blue and I think it shows he's hearing the message.
Family, homeschool, a little about crunchy living and things loved from an introvert who finally found a way to communicate what's going on inside her head.
Saturday, September 08, 2007
School: The first week
Oh it feels so good to have the first week of home school done. The first week has been so intimidating to me, just figuring out where we're going to set up and how H will respond. I know it's only preschool but I figure if this goes okay then we'll probably continue on with kindergarden at home too. H is only disappointed that school goes so fast. H eagerly wants E to join us. If I mention putting E down for a nap, H begs for him to stay up "just for school".

We've taken to sitting at a little kids table that I picked up at a garage sale this summer. (An answer to prayer as all the wood tables that I saw were $50. I found this one for $15 with a custom paint job!) Little Hands to Heaven (our curriculum) brings everything back to the Bible and since I had determined that this year would be primarily character development with some school stuff mixed in, it does it wonderfully. I especially love the little devotional book called My ABC Bible Verses, Hiding God's Word in Little Hearts by Susan Hunt. Our verse this week is "A soft answer turns away wrath." Proverbs 15:1. At an unexpected moment H said "I think I'll quit hitting Mom." Well the resolve lasted for only about that moment but it was a comment out of the blue and I think it shows he's hearing the message.
On the first day of school I put a little bin of new school supplies at H's breakfast spot. Markers (since E had chewed off the tips of his other ones), erasers, water colors and some foam ABC, 123 puzzles (that mysteriously appeared at our front door while we were gone on vacation - thank you to the still unnamed donor!) H looked at the puzzles and said "Mom, I already know my ABCs and numbers, why did you get me these?" Smarty pants! And on day 2 H was ready to switch out our letter "A" on the learning board to the letter "B". Again, smarty pants. The focus on letters is a lot about the letter sound (which we didn't do last year).
This summer I picked up some DVDs by Leap Frog. One of them, called Letter Factory, is all about letters and the sounds they make. A teacher at the home school conference that I went to in spring gave me this lead and we loved them and felt like it was a good way to pave the way.
We've taken to sitting at a little kids table that I picked up at a garage sale this summer. (An answer to prayer as all the wood tables that I saw were $50. I found this one for $15 with a custom paint job!) Little Hands to Heaven (our curriculum) brings everything back to the Bible and since I had determined that this year would be primarily character development with some school stuff mixed in, it does it wonderfully. I especially love the little devotional book called My ABC Bible Verses, Hiding God's Word in Little Hearts by Susan Hunt. Our verse this week is "A soft answer turns away wrath." Proverbs 15:1. At an unexpected moment H said "I think I'll quit hitting Mom." Well the resolve lasted for only about that moment but it was a comment out of the blue and I think it shows he's hearing the message.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Congrats on finishing the first week! Here's to another 16 more years!
Oh, you are my hero. If only I thought I could home school. We'll see...I am having trouble just feeding the children and changing their diapers these days. Not sure I'm ready to take on education. :)
We love the Leap Pad DVD too. We have Letter Factory and Work Factory. Both good. B walks around singing, "The B says ba, the B says ba..." Maybe that's all the education I can manage for now. :)
Getting that first week down feels so good doesn't it? Thanks for posting and linking up!
Ah; I've been looking for other Christian pre-school home-schoolers out here! Hi! Thank you for the resource suggestions. I'm new to the blogging and homeschooling, but I'll try to include some of the resources that I find helpful at laurabooz.com if you're ever interested. I'll be back to your site to steal more of your ideas; thank you for your generosity!
Post a Comment