Do we want our children to obey God the first, second, or the third time? Okay a no brainer. But if we as God's appointed authority over our children allow them to wait until the third time to comply what are we teaching them? So as inconvenient as it is we are going to do our best to follow through with our boys the first time. This means I need to be more mindful about the words that come out of my mouth, am I able/willing to follow through with a request before it's out of my mouth. So "let your 'yes' be yes and your 'no' be no". By the way diaper changes have been easier with E since he has been getting a time-out the first time he doesn't come and lay down. We have been experiencing PEACEFUL, compliant diaper changes (not all the time but enough to notice).
Another point that was a new concept for me to wrap my thinker around was this one:
We all know that consistency in parenting is so very important for our kids but when you consider the verse "Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking in anything" James 1:2-4, it leads us to understand that when we are persistent in the godly rearing of our children (as in many things) it will bring about a maturity in us. Cool!
There was this other parenting book I really wanted to read but I wouldn't let myself read it until I had finished this one and I'm so glad that I did. The other book I wanted to read I'll review sometime here but let me just say that I just finished it and it only took me 10 days to read!
2 comments:
Thanks for visiting my blog! We have a lot in common, and this book too is on my nightstand:) Now I definately have to conquer it! A lot of the older homeschooling women around me say that you shouldn't even worry about school until you have mastered first time obedience. Ouch!
I just picked up this book from the library, and I'm looking forward to reading it! :)
So far, we've really liked www.raisinggodlytomatoes.com for discipline/parenting advice. She talks about first-time obedience, too.
Thanks for the book recommendation!
Blessings,
Michele :)
www.frugalgranola.blogspot.com
(Hey, another granola blog!) :)
Post a Comment